Saturday, July 28, 2012

"CenturyLink is a Bad Corporate Citizen!"

I am a veteran who is disabled with an inoperable brain tumor, and this is how CenturyLink treats me. In February of this year I decided to switch providers, even though I had used Qwest then CenturyLink for years. One thing that bugged me initially was they didn't give me the discount for folks living at the poverty level, which was a few bucks a month. This was when I moved to Sheridan, WY from Buffalo WY in September 2008. Over the next 3+ years I saw my monthly phone bill rise a little bit each month to over $100 a month, or 10% of my monthly income---now this was just for one landline phone and internet, and long distance which I used to call my parents twice a week, and some sibling regularly, like once every few months. On a many occasions I got these letters from them to "Review" my account, so I decided to call, and see if they can give me a better deal, and they said they couldn't, but I could buy this really neat cellphone and "Bundle" it to my account. It was about helping me, it was about another way to try and sell me something I don't need.
So, In February I switched to another local telecommunications company for my phone, local and long distance and my internet needs. I saved 30% off what I was paying with CenturyLink. On February 7, 2012 they officially switched me over. Prior to that when I was at their office, my new company that is, we discussed what I had to do to switch over, and they gave me some papers to sign, and I asked if I should call CenturyLink, and they said they will know when they get the official switching carriers paperwork. So, I thought nothing of it, the switch went well, and I figured CenturyLink would send me a final bill for my services used. Well, I waited a month and still hadn't gotten a final bill, so I called them, meaning you folks at CenturyLink, And told the representative the situation. And she said I was still a customer, and that I didn't call CenturyLink, so therefore I am still connected. I said know I wasn't, and that the local company switched me over on February 7th, 2012, and told here to check her records. She comes back and says, "Oh yeah, it looks like they switched you over back on Feb. 7th, but that doesn't matter, because you didn't call us and tell us". I said I was told that you would realize that I officially switched when you got the notice from my new company, and I didn't need to call you. She was like, "It still doesn't matter, you didn't call, so you still owe us. And, do you want me to disconnect your account today?" I said it's been a month, and since I disconnected, and I'm not paying for an additional month. I'll pay what I owe, but not for when I was disconnected from you all---that's insane.
So, I figured CenturyLink would send me a real and true reconciled bill, but that has yet to happen. Instead, what CenturyLink has done, something that a dirtbag would do and that is they sent my bill to collections. It's been 4 months since I last spoke with them, and they send my debt to a collection agency. All I can say is someone is a real scumbag there. I never said I wouldn't pay, but a wanted a legitimate bill, and not one where I pay for a month I wasn't even connected.
So America, This is how CenturyLink screws with Veterans who are disabled---they fuck with them and try to cheat them.
Thanks for being a great corporate citizen there CenturyLink!
 
Best wishes always,
Bill Harasym

"Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless
means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral." -Paolo Friere-

No comments:

LEAP